Jay Baer is a 7th generation entrepreneur who speaks about business strategy. He has written six books on marketing the customer experience and has founded five multi-million dollar companies. Jay started paid speaking around 40, which was relatively late in his working career, but after eight years, he got into the Professional Speakers Hall of Fame. He now spends most of his time working on speaking programs around the world and does a lot of brand ambassador work for software companies. Moreover, Jay is the second most popular tequila influencer and educates people all around the world.
- Jay didn’t “need” to do speaking because he was a successful consultant, but he found that he really enjoyed giving presentations. Because of this, he decided to make a pivot: go from a consultant who does some speaking to a speaker who owns a consulting firm.
- Your experience in your given industry—whether that be consulting, technology, and more—can make you a great and highly sought after content-specific speaker.
- As a speaker, delivering great value is important, but you also have to be mindful about not overwhelming people. Oftentimes, a few simple talking points is much more effective than a long list all at once.
- Having “talk triggers” or signature elements as a speaker can help make you unique and memorable. Learn about what separates Jay from other speakers in this episode.
- “It was just as much work pulling myself out of my other business as it was getting into the speaking business.” – Jay Baer
- “If there is something you want to do, have the experience in doing it…Get out there. Get your feet wet. Fail a couple times.” – Charles Clark
- “If you’ve got a signature bit or something that people really recognize as your essence, don’t run away from it. Run towards it.” – Jay Baer
- “You have to be brave enough to fully embrace who you are.” – Charles Clark
- “Authenticity is better than perfection.” – Charles Clark
- “The audience can smell inauthenticity.” – Jay Baer
Episode Resources & Links
Facebook + Instagram + Twitter: @jaybaer
Instagram + Facebook: @thecharlesclark