Selena Rezvani is a speaker who is focused on elevating women into leadership positions and teaching people how to set boundaries and utilize push back as a way to support their values. Before becoming a full time speaker, she was a management consultant, and in this position, she was fortuitously introduced to the speaking world. Since leaving her corporate job in 2009, she has authored two books and has spoken at Harvard University, Princeton University, Microsoft, Accenture, and more.
- Push back is often painted in a negative light. However, it can be utilized for great things, including, but not limited to: advocating for yourself, taking a firm position issues, and affirming when you’re right.
- Speakers are often people pleasers, however, it is important to know how to say no and establish firm boundaries.
- You should err on the side of valuing yourself rather than undervaluing yourself. Tips on figuring out your value and rates: look at demand and your satisfaction scores.
- Hear about Selena’s most memorable speaking experience where she got her first standing ovation.
- Think about what energizes you when you’re designing your talks. It can cause a ripple effect into the audience.
- “Push back is not a nice to have skill, it’s a must have.” – Selena Rezvani
- “There is tremendous liberation [in saying no].” – Selena Rezvani
- “Proximity is power.” – Charles Clark
- “I noticed a big difference in the people who [speak] for the money and the people who do it because they truly care about people.” – Charles Clark
- “Your best tool is still going to be to connect with people through your stories, and you’re never done with that, so keep sharpening [them] and banking your stories.” – Selena Rezvani
- “Tell that story even if your voice shakes.” – Charles Clark
Episode Resources & Links
Instagram: + Twitter: @selenarezvani
- Website: https://thecharlesclark.com
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/charlesclarkusa/
- Instagram: @thecharlesclark
- Facebook: @thecharlesclark
To get access to all our episodes, visit our podcast page! Enroll in our Journey to Paid Speaking Gigs Program to find your voice and learn how to create your own speaking business.